Re: Laid to rest is Pro Tools LE"...

Kim Cascone wrote:
   On 03/04/2011 11:09 AM, Renato wrote:
I'm missing something here - other than adding 2 lines
to /etc/security/limits.conf what other terminal black magic is needed
in order to run a fairly general (DAW + synths) linux audio environment?

it's more a case of 'endless iterative tweaking'

Because the FLOSS philosophy gives you all the options, while Windows and Mac OS X don't.

I for one have had issues with xruns since upgrading Jack and Ubuntu (I know, don't say it)
and certain apps cause xruns in differing amounts
Yoshimi is unusable

Works fine here, with or without an RT kernel. But I use Debian, not Ubuntu.

VLC still a problem, while Ardour, Phasex and Pd seem less problematic
haven't tested all my audio apps on my laptop but...

I have spent way, way too much time tweaking
/etc/security/limits.conf && /etc/security/audio.conf
plus messing around with the priority/frames settings in Jack
this is not a 'set and forget' sort of thing (for me at least)
since params live in multiple places and are non-orthogonal - it's been like playing whack-a-mole

there are some docs online which walk one through the process of optimizing a system for audio and setting up Jack but so far I'm still not able to arrive at a combination of settings that bring my system to xruns=0

xruns can also come from hardware that seems to be unrelated to audio. For example, a laptop's wireless network driver that frequently checks to see if there's a wireless connection to make, even when the wireless adapter's antenna is turned off. (Mine does that. I guess the real option there is to blacklist the wireless driver.) Or shared hardware interrupts. Or the presence of binary blobs in the kernel, like NVidia's proprietary driver.

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx