Re: gx_head accessibility question/request

Am 21.02.2011 01:04, schrieb S. Massy:
On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 10:28:12AM +0100, Hartmut Noack wrote:
Am 16.02.2011 20:43, schrieb S. Massy:
Hey again,

BTW, has anybody found a good clean setting with gx_head?

I made a preset called "krystallic" for my Ibanez RG RX, that sounds
really crisp for me. You can find it under "Presets/Factory
Settings/zettberlin".
Ies, I've tried it; very fun to play with, but it was still breaking up
a little for me.

At the moment I work on more presets including clean stuff with a RG565.
Look forward to trying it.

Please note, that gx_head reacts quite like a real amp to the
guitar-signal(and that is, what I like so much about
guitarix/gx_head ;-) ) .

Thus the input-gain has a strong influence on the results. So if a
preset does not sound as expected, try to fiddle a little with your
system mixer (keep gain just below 0db) and with gx_heads Pre Gain -
control.
What you say makes perfect sense. I guess I'm too used to a real amp; I
played with the pots on my guitar, but neglected the preamp gain on my
soundcard. I guess you usually  keep it pretty low?

Actually I try to keep it as high as possible with some 1-2db under the clipping level. When I set the level, I play the guitar with all knobs on 10 as loud as possible. This results in a fairly low level when I play "normally". And I can thrash as mad without hitting the red. Thus I have headroom for fiddeling with the controls on my guitars.

best regs
HZN

Cheers,
S.M.

best regards

HZN

I could get
plenty of lovely crunch and grit, but didn't have much success in the
clean department.

Cheers,
S.M.