Re: Jack fallback to alsa when firefire device off?

Dan Capp wrote:
Thanks Robin. It’s just good to know whether it is or isn’t worth chasing.

I don’t really want to mess about making this happen if it’s new territory. As a Linux-beginner I stand no chance of achieving what experts haven’t already achieved.

However, what you said here is interesting:

 Why don't you use JACK _only_ for the firewire device? and configure
 your music-player to use ALSA (or pulseaudio) on the built-in card?”

Why not indeed! Maybe that’s what my problem boils down to – KXStudio’s achievement of routing all audio through Jack2 is widely-celebrated, but perhaps it’s not suitable for a user of my particular requirements. I wonder whether it’s worth staying with KXStudio if I’m going to do as you suggest above (I’m also having problems with my Wacom graphics tablet) or whether there are other benefits of KXStudio that make it worth sticking by (it sure looks slick). Perhaps I should install Kubuntu, then add the realtime kernel, FFADO and those audio/graphics programs necessary for what I do. Opinions?

That's one way. Or I guess install Fedora and add the CCRM repositories. Or try something like ArtistX, Musix, or one of the :Dyne derivatives and see how they work. Musix' may not have the most current program versions, but it is a slickly-done music-focussed distro. I like ArtistX on my little music laptop, and it includes creative tools for graphics, video, etc.

I tried KXStudio, but it wouldn't run on my music laptop. Hardware too old, I guess!

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx