Re: Snd learning curve

Am 10.02.2011 21:00, schrieb Bill Schottstaedt:
Thanks for the kind words about Snd!  If any of you have the
time and inclination, I'd like to hear how Snd should be changed
to make it easier to use.  My main interest is in the sound
processing, not the user interface (which I guess is painfully obvious),

But testing snd-gtk in Fedora14 (the version from CCRMA) the only trouble I see *is* related to the UI. Especially things like this:

snd-error: gtk-popup.scm needs the xg module (either 'make xg' or build Snd with --with-static-xg): /home/zettberlin/xg.so: Kann die Shared-Object-Datei nicht Ãffnen: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden "gtk-popup.scm"[14]: (if (string? hxm) (snd-error (format #f "gtk-popup.scm needs the xg module (either 'make xg' or build Snd with --with-static-xg): ~A" hxm)) (dlinit hxm "Init_libxg"))

I would consider it a major improvement, if such dialogues would not pop up in a general distribution of Snd. If a program offers me the opportunity to switch a feature on and if I do it informs me of a missing module, then I consider this a bug in the way the program is distributed.

And even though I have used Ardour for 50+-track-productions for years and have worked with about a dozen different sound-editors for hundreds of houres I do not manage to play a loop in Snd. Please! If you could educate me on this -- how do I play a selection looped ... well and how do I get a cursor that shows me what sample is being played in the graph actually -- that would mean the difference between giving in once more and start using Snd for real work on a regular basis.

best regards

HZN

and I use Snd mainly to work on synthesis.  I almost never
try to, for example, edit a recording.  Right now, the gtk version
is in transition from gdk to cairo and gtk2 to gtk3, so it's a worse
mess than usual.  But, it's a good time to make major changes!