Re: State of the art GUI

On 01/29/2011 01:19 PM, fons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Not if you *know* you don't have to aim for it. And then any time
you don't will strengthen that habit.

Knowing isn't enough, as this is behavior that either is, or becomes automatic/sub-conscious due to training.

Blender has drag-from-everywhere sliders with knobs. I found myself aiming at the knobs and the same was reported by other users. Anecdotal, yes, but this has to weight more than just claiming it doesn't happen.

Finally, a knob requires "dead" space at the start and end of the
fader (assuming the mark is in the middle of the knob), thereby
reducing the length the value range can be mapped to (though it does
not affect the total target area).

You need some margin anyway.

One or 2 pixels if you draw a frame around the widget, vs half a knob-length.

Oh, and try a middle-click, sometime ;)
(Middle-drag doesn't quite do what it should, ideally, though)
Also: Ctrl-left-drag.

And how are these suggested by the layout and not 'a lie' ?

They are no suggested at all. Extra functionality that doesn't indicate its presence, but is nice to have, you just have to know about this. I deem this acceptable in cases of non-critical functionality, where the alternative would be to simply don't have it.
Brought this up as a side-note only, though.

As for Ardour2's one, I can't count the number of times I've
been fooled into thinking that the meter scale applies to the
fader as well. And that mistake apparently won't go away with
time and use.

This supports what I said about knowing it not being enough ;p

But should the faders have their own scales, somehow made to match the existing scale, or what would you suggest?

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/