Re: rt kernel in debian/squeeze

On 01/08/2011 03:55 PM, Robin Gareus wrote:
On 01/08/2011 03:16 PM, Bernardo Barros wrote:
ondemand is no good because when it switches the processor actually
stops for a very short time. but this short drops are enough to cause
the terrible xruns on jack. stick to performance or conservative :-)

I'm tempted to call BS.

I can't find a reference or link but IIRC the "short time" a processor
stalls when changing frequency is these days in the usec range.

Anyway, discard all theory. It works empirically:
There are no problems here with JACK at 32*2 fpp @48kHz with the
ondemand govenour on both Intel Core Duo, Intel Core 2 Duo and Intel i5
CPUs (yes, that is going from nought to 16 jconvolvers causing CPU and
JACK load to jump).

anecdotal evidence: on my system(s), using ondemand is absolutely deadly when using the ffado backend.

with the alsa backend, the system is mostly ok when running ondemand, but then again i run fairly high latencies because jconvolver gets really expensive when you shrink the period size...