Re: (double) bass samples for Linuxsampler

On 12/31/2010 02:29 AM, Leigh Dyer wrote:
On Wed, 2010-12-29 at 21:31 +0000, Andrew C wrote:
Also, I had this discussion about SF2 and SFZ on the linuxsampler
mailing list a while back. Long and short of it is that SF2 is an
older, monolithic file format with limited modulation capabilities
designed by EMU/Creative whereas SFZ is quite a recently (and open
format, like SF2) developed format that seperates the .wav
multisamples from the programming bits and is designed by
Roland/Cakewalk (but bears no relation to the Soundfont format).
SFZ is really going to be the future of LinuxSampler, I think, simply
because of its non-monolithic design. Commercial samplers like EXS24 and
Kontakt use much the same design, with a bunch of WAV files and a small
mapping file, so all that's needed to make a Kontakt library playable in
LinuxSampler is for someone to make a matching SFZ mapping. I can't see
any reason why such a mapping wouldn't be freely distributable, so as a
community we could build up a collection of downloadable SFZ mappings
for popular commercial libraries.

You can already find SFZ mappings for some libraries, eg:

http://www.drealm.info/sfz/

Of course, building such mappings isn't an easy job, but if it can be
done once and distributed widely, it greatly eases the burden.
Especially when it follows the GM mappings...

\r