Re: MIDI connections (hardware setup)

linuxdsp wrote:
Julien Claassen wrote:
Hello everyone1
I'm pretty sure, that I'm stupid, but one can always try. I have a setup here with two synths (both fully MIDI capable). I can only touch one keyboard, the other one is sitting in an awkward place and can't be moved. So this is the problem: Can I wire up the keyboard in such a way that:
1. I can use my main keyboard to control the other one and
2. Use the main keyboard to control softsynths at the same time (meaning without rewiring everytme). I don't mind turning on both keybaords for playing a softsynth, as long as the wiring can stay as it is. I'd rather not crawl in the space over there in the corner and get myself hanged each time I try to fiddle with the cables.

MIDI Thru?

Hi Julien,

Run your main keyboard's MIDI Out to the second board's MIDI In port. Now you're controlling it from the main keys. Run a cable from the second keyboard's MIDI Thru to the MIDI In on your computer's MIDI interface, then use ALSA seq or JACK-MIDI to connect to your softsynth of choice. Let me know if that doesn't work.

Best,

dp