Re: Arranging furniture in a room

On 10/18/2010 07:30 PM, Julien Claassen wrote:
Hello all! I have the opportuinty to move all the furniture in my
room, since it's being redecoarted. Now I wonder, if some of you
might have tipps for an audiophile distribution of my room. :-)

i found you generally want to keep things symmetrical along the stereo
center line. so a window to the left and a bookshelf to the right is a
bad idea (you will misjudge balance and source placement easily).

also, don't put your listening position in a place where similar room nodes occur in the 3 directions (in the centre of an exactly cubic room would be a very extreme example of bad placement). shoebox-type rooms are easiest to deal with (different length, height and width, so different standing wave frequencies, so problem frequencies tend to be smoothed out).

i usually try to avoid extreme rear reflections if i can, but i must confess i don't really know why, and fons' suggestion to move to a rear wall got me thinking...

and of course it pays to think about early reflections that are so close to the direct sound that they will incur audible coloration. here's a fun way to deal with this problem, and with this method, you wouldn't even need the help of a sighted person (as you probably would if you measured with a laser or tape).

from: http://www.sweetwater.com/NearField/#console
Take the microphone stand and place it at the mix position. Attach
one end of the string to the top of the mic stand, and stretch the
string out to the front of one of the monitors. This is the direct
sound path from the speaker to your mix position. To locate all the
surfaces that will contribute reflections within that magic 2
millisecond window, add 600mm(24") to the string you have stretched
out. Take a small piece of gaff tape and attach the string to the
baffle (NOT the drivers!). Now, every surface you can touch with any
part of that string can contribute a reflection to your mix position.

bookshelves are great diffusors with pretty high absorption. bass-eating furniture such as beds or sofas work best in corners of the room, if you find you need to slim down the sound a bit. sometimes, if your room is just a tad boomy, removing absorbing surfaces can work just as well as adding bass traps, and is often easier.

monitor speakers should be arranged so that the drivers are above one another, so that you stay in the same lobe when you move horizontally at your mixer.

hth,

jörn