Re: re Subconscious Affecting Music

Rustom Mody wrote:
On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 1:59 PM, david <gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    The real interesting measure of perception/influence of music on
    thought might require use of functional MRI scanning, which can show
    the actual electrical activity in the brain.

Yes I forgot to mention brain-wave patterns. Ultimately any such 'objective-measure' may miss some more subtle influence. Its just that a crude idea may be better than no idea.

Functional MRI is much more than "brain-wave patterns". Functional MRI shows the actual nerve firings in the brain, flowing from cell to cell to cell. It provides a very detailed record of brain activity.

The difficulty at this stage of functional MRI development is mapping what it shows to thoughts, to what it means.

        Coming back to Bach: If he was not interested in tunings he
        would not have written the Well Tempered clavier.

        If he was interested in promoting equal temperament he would
        have called it the Equal tempered Clavier

    There were plenty of tunings in Bach's day. If music over the
    centuries had NOT settled on a standard tuning that essentially
    displaced the others, would modern music have been experimenting
    with alternative tunings?

I dont understand...

As far as I can see(hear?) today's technology makes possible musical experiments (including but not limited to tuning) that could not have been dreamt of 20 years ago -- leave aside Bach

Yes, music technology lets us do things that previous musical eras couldn't even dream about.

What I meant was: if western music had never settled on a standard tuning, and composers routinely worked with a wide variety of differing tunings, would there have been as much urge to invent new tunings? I think part of the urge to devise new tunings arose because using a tuning other than standard tuning was DIFFERENT.

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx