Re: linuxDSP LV2 plugins for Ardour and linux DAWs

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Bernardo Barros <bernardobarros2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2010/7/28, Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@xxxxxxxxx>:
> "Different funding strategies" is vague. I think that Linux would have lots
> and
> lots of cool stable apps if those "funding strategies" were obvious. But
> they
> are not.

They aren't indeed.  Linux kernel is doing well with really big
companies supporting it. Multimedia applications still did not find
the best way, but they will. Donations from professionals and
universities doing research between arts and computer science would be
two options. All I said was to keep  closed software away from
gnu/linux. (But I think proprietary under free OS is better then
proprietary software under proprietary OS, I don't know).

Who knows. Proprietary under free OS might be better indeed than under
proprietary OS. I am just wondering lately whether open source model of
development and/or environment of free and voluntary developers is at all
capable of delivering robust, stable and professional level apps. I am not saying
that it is not possible in question, but I am wondering whether it is possible on
a regular basis, since such apps are needed in many fields. And many things on
GNU/Linux are either difficult or impossible to do today.

--
Louigi Verona
http://www.louigiverona.ru/