Re: jack2 set to realtime / soft mode, normal kernel ?

Harry Van Haaren wrote:

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 12:18 AM, david wrote:

    Of course, you don't have old hardware to deal with.

Your right, I've a 2 year old laptop, with PAE. (I think the Celeron were the last chip to not have PAE..)

Could be. They're the last Intel chips I have here. (Well, my wife's laptop has a Core2Duo in it, but she doesn't do music stuff with it.

Thanks for bringing ArtistX to my attention, I'd only tried 0.7 a couple of years back, and it was already outdated then! But there's a new release, (0.8 :-0 ) which is based on Ubuntu 10 (unlucky there...).

Yah, I'm downloading it now, will see if perhaps this "R2" (second release version, I guess) has fixed it.

It seems pretty promising, Ill download it over the next days, and hopefully its all good!

KXStudio is another intresting (Buntu based) distro... Its shipping with LADISH, JACK2, ArdourVST, QTracktorVST etc

I downloaded KXStudio. It's based on KUbuntu 10. It hangs on my laptops with a black screen.

KDE4 is a major resource hog, not something I'd recommend for an audio-focussed system.

Really up to date, there's a PPA for Ardour3, Mixxx 1.8, etc
KX does focus on "visual appeal" as well as functionality. Ie: Its probably not *the* fastest system to boot / login.

Or do things with. The more "visual appeal" there is, the more the system has to be doing intense things with your video. That can be a big problem if video and audio are sharing interrupts!

But it sure looks a lot more slick than my bare bones LXDE ;-)

What a waste of resources. I like LXDE and even Fluxbox instead for audio systems. I'd rather have my processor making sounds than doing some silly menu fading effect. ;-)

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx