Re: OT: Microphone choice for pipe organ

On 06/23/2010 11:26 PM, fons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 11:11:55PM +0200, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

* direct sound ok'ish but a little unpleasant in the mid range and lack
of "air", i.e. treble reproduction.
Absolutely. It sounds as if everything above 5 kHz was
cut off somehow. A higher mic position could help, but
I've got the impression that the mics are lacking HF
anyway.

Yes - these are Behringer XM1800 dynamic mics, presumably for PA use. I shan't be using them on the organ again. (But it was worth a try!)

Well, this isn't a German organ. It also needs some
maintenance, and the registration doesn't help.

This organ is in Bristol, UK and has a collection of stops typical of an English organ of its size - lots of flutes, hardly any reeds, hardly any mixtures. I think it's about a hundred years old. The console has been restored/updated and the pneumatic mechanism has been replaced with electric, but the ranks of pipes are the same.

You are correct that some maintenance is required. One or two of the stops are badly out of tune and are temporarily out of use. Some of the other stops are slightly out of tune, and still used. There are several air leaks (but fortunately the poor HF response of the mics has cut that out ;) It's just a case of money!

I personally think the registration choice is suitable in all of these recordings, but of course this is a matter of opinion. The organist playing here is an experienced professional. This church has a smaller organ than he is used to - he previously was the resident organist at Crediton[1] and has also played at cathedrals across Europe. I consider myself fortunate to work with someone so knowledgeable, talented and experienced.

I realise we are now well and truly OT :)

[1] http://www.holycrosschoir.com/theorgan.html
I don't fully agree on the benefits of using omnis.
A *good* cardioid will reproduce the bass as well,
even if maybe you need to EQ a few dB. And spaced omnis
on organs or anything that produces long sustained notes
can be a disaster for mono compatibility, unless they are
spaced much more than a meter. And in that case you risk
the 'hole in the middle' or you need at least three mics.

Thanks too for your advice. How important is mono compatibility, given that these recordings are burnt to CD as stereo, and handed out to people who listen to them on their stereos at home?

Cheers,
Jonathan