tuning aeolus (was Re: A Bach in appology and completeness :-))

Hey all,

Since the subject of temperaments and tunings came up I just wanted to mention that I'm such a passionate devotee of non-12-equal tunings and microtonality, that I started an organization called UnTwelve (www.untwelve.org), whose mission is to program and educate people on music in various different tunings and temperaments.

You'll also be interested to know that I hacked on Aeolus 6 years or so ago and added a custom Just Intonation scale using only the 3rd and 7th harmonics. The results can be heard at:

http://www.akjmusic.com/audio/theatre_work/PeerGynt/07_troll_music.mp3

to explore some of my other stuff, check out the general portal to my music at

http://www.akjmusic.com/works.html

Cheers,
Aaron.

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 7:07 PM, <fons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Julien,

>   Is it easy to change the temperament setting by hand? And does
> Werckmeister III still sound OK with other instruments tuned the
> modern (equally or is ti well tempered) way?

It's easy to change. Edit the file stops-***/Aeolus/definition.
Near the top you'll find a line

/tuning 440.0 1

The second number is an index into the list in my previous
post, starting at zero. You'll find it as well in scales.cc.

Werckmeister III will probably work well in most cases.
To test, play something in A flat. The main problem with
Meantone is the Ab-C-Eb chord (just try it !).

If you want to switch easily, you could for example create
a directory stops-***/Aeolus-ET, copy the definition file
there and set it to Equal Temperament. Then use the -I
command line option to select this one.

Ciao,

--
FA