Re: Please help with audio interfaces that keep changing after reboot

Peter Nelson wrote:
On Sun, 2010-05-09 at 23:32 -1000, david wrote:
Philipp Überbacher wrote:
Wow, you USB device really is called default. Quite bad. I must admit
that I'm surprised. I'd also try to use hw:default, which hopefully is
different from (default) in qjackctl, whatever that may be.
So I just tried typing in "hw:default" for QJackCtl, and it got the USB device. In the morning, I'll see what "hw:default" is. Selecting "(default)" from QJackCtl's drop down list gives me the Intel audio right now.

Really confusing..
Part of what makes Linux audio so much fun!

"default" is ALSA's default "device", the one that implements dmix etc.
on the first sound card found.

"hw:default" will directly use the sound card actually named "default".

That's exactly how it worked this morning. And (interestingly) the little volume control widget also was using the sound card called "default."

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx