Re: HDSP 9632 - Just pcm0p !?

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 11:30 AM, Klaus Schulz <kls.schlz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> THX Giso.
>
> I already looked into the .asoundrc Wiki.  I couldn't really make sense of
> it.
>
> I 'll checkout Jack. I just wanted to avoid another layer in the chain. I
> also didn't want to mix things
> on the PC side. I didn't expect difficulties to send three stereo streams
> straight to the device mixer.

then you haven't understood ALSA at all.

That's possible. (Don't expect me I to startup discussions about quality of Alsa documentation etc., Alsa I regard as designer territory - I am just a poor user.)

if you want multiple apps to send independent streams to a device, you
have 3 choices:

 1) use dmix
 2) use asoundrc to set up pseudo-devices mapped to distinct
channels, and have each app use a different pseudo-device
 3) use a sound server that knows what its doing (JACK being one example)

Paul. I know all that. I am just lacking the knowledge of how to link the output stream to a dedicated channel.

if you want a single app to send independent streams to a device, then
the app has to know what its doing.

its not any simpler, or more complex, than that.

Pretty simple - You IMO still did not answer the question. How about  an example for 2) ?

For now the only way to sent a stream to e.g. the out3/4  of HDSPmixer without going for 1)2)3) has been a multichannel wav.

Cheers