Re: All audio through Jack, cont'd

2009/10/27 Jonathan E. Brickman <jeb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
OK.  I have two theories.  The first is a question:

1.  I know what libasound_module_pcm_jack.so does -- but what does libasound_module_pcm_jack.la do?  It has been said that the ALSA2Jack plugin won't work at all without the .la file, but it was working perfectly over here without it.  Is the .la something Ubuntu-specific?  Or...?

2.  Theory #2 is the better because it accounts for the fact that it was working pretty well:  might the ALSA2Jack plugin have trouble handling multiple streams at once?  If so, is there a streams-mixing plugin I can use before ALSA2Jack, to make this work better?

J.E.B.

1) It has been said wrong. It's not that it doesn't work without the libtool file, but it's because what's being done is using the library (*.so) off of somewhere and not one which was meant and built for your system (differing versions). Libtool helped here by making sure libraries are properly linked.

Open up a *.la and you'll see what I mean.

2) No. Every alsa app registers a port with JACK when the plug-in is active. Those that don't are defective.