Re: Musical Score Editors - some advice for beginners

Hi,

2009/9/25 david <gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Oh, I'm not complaining about QT in general. I'm complaining about QT4
and the "forced migration" it appears to be doing to everyone. To wit, a
lot of good enhancements and bug fixing in Rosegarden is on extended
hold until the devs finish slogging through porting it to QT4.

I think you are missing the boat here. If it had been Qt3 migrating to Qt4 it would have been:
- easier
- not entirely necessary, since qt3 can piecefully coexist until the day Qt3 is removed from repositories (won't happen soon)

But RG was built on KDE3 which in retrospect is a big problem. Now that distros move to KDE4 the extra resource usage cannot be ignored. The only long term solution I see is to do what they did, move to Qt4

In MusE we have had it easier in that it's already Qt3, a Qt4 port was done already a long time ago that might never see the light of day... due to other circumstances.
Still, that current MusE uses Qt3 isn't a big problem, we will move when there is sufficient reason, would have been nice to use some of the easy eye-candy in Qt4 though (like stylesheets).

Now don't get me started about the waste of time/resources known as
KDE4! ;-)

As will the next Gnome be... it's evolution in progress...

/Robert