Re: Audio Distribution Proposal...

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 8:54 AM, Jean-BaptisteMestelan<mestelan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:> 2009/6/4 Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>>>> Compiling an rt kernel is not brain surgery.  Having a pre compiled rt>> kernel option is a useful addition to the suite of tools. If we had a>> dedicated list of proven hardware setups with kernel versions, links to>> the various precompiled rt kernels for each distro and basic build steps>> that would also assist people who are taking the plunge.>>>> <snip>>> Also can you send me the link to the debian rt kernel project please?>>>> And if anyone else knows of specific links to other rt kernel projects>> repos please send them through.>>>> Sorry, am catching up rather late, but one thing about this discussion> has left me wondering:> does a realtime kernel have to be distribution-specific ?>> I mean:> a) Could there be an attempt to patch and compile a> distribution-agnostic realtime kernel ? (Is there one already ?)>> b) Or is it that every distribution expects its kernel to include some> home-made kernel modifications, and hence requires patching their own> specific brand from source ?>
The rt-kernel project is completely distro agnostic. It's your distrothat potentially makes any kernel distro specific. I don't know whatdistros might do this for the rt-kernel, if any.
The rt-kernel project always patches the kernel.org kernel and eventhough I run Gentoo I do not run Gentoo's kernels as I don't know whatthey've added or why. I figure if it's important they'll post it backto kernel.org and Linus will decide. There is absolutely no problemrunning this kernel on a Gentoo box and I don't know of any problemsrunning it on any distro box. you just don't get any special stuff thedistro package thinks is important to add.
On Gentoo we have the pro-audio overlay which makes thedistro-agnostic rt-sources available. It's equivalent to me going tothe rt-sources site and grabbing all that stuff but easier. emergegentoo-sources or emerge rt-sources. Either way I do exactly the sameamount of work, but with rt-sources I get the vanilla kernel with rtpatches.