Re: Audio Distribution Proposal...

2009/6/4 Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>> Compiling an rt kernel is not brain surgery.  Having a pre compiled rt> kernel option is a useful addition to the suite of tools. If we had a> dedicated list of proven hardware setups with kernel versions, links to> the various precompiled rt kernels for each distro and basic build steps> that would also assist people who are taking the plunge.>> <snip>> Also can you send me the link to the debian rt kernel project please?>> And if anyone else knows of specific links to other rt kernel projects> repos please send them through.

Sorry, am catching up rather late, but one thing about this discussionhas left me wondering:does a realtime kernel have to be distribution-specific ?
I mean:a) Could there be an attempt to patch and compile adistribution-agnostic realtime kernel ? (Is there one already ?)
b) Or is it that every distribution expects its kernel to include somehome-made kernel modifications, and hence requires patching their ownspecific brand from source ?