Re: processing lead vocals

On Tuesday 02 June 2009 17.49.32 Ricus Vincente wrote:
>  I do compress vocals, but to too aggressively, and like Roger Nichols,
> I ride the fader til I get the vocal to sit in the mix nicely.

Very interesting. I have heard some recordings lately where the fader is used
instead of compressor on vocals, and it sounds much more dynamic and clear
IMO; and the Roger Nichols related stuff is always great, I love Steely Dan.
:-) The Swedish Laleh - which sings with extreme dynamics - use the fader and
she sounds fantastic.

All this current over use of compression makes vocals and (recordings
generally) sound like a working circular saw when it's cutting wood. I know
that they do it on order to be heard on lousy radio stations and noisy
environments, but it should be prohibited. :-) Or they could at least make a
HiFi-version for every recording.

Jostein