Re: Gentoo as a DAW platform

On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 7:11 PM, Brent Busby <brent@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:> On Sun, 10 May 2009, Ray Rashif wrote:>>>> From personal experience, my very first _hobby_ project before I started out>> in the audio industry was to set up a Linux studio environment with Gentoo.>> I ended up victimised and gave in to the CFLAGS club while never having>> gotten anything done. That was the period of my life I wish I could fix. I>> I've already avoided getting sucked into that in my life with FreeBSD.> I use only '-O2 -march=athlon64 -pipe' and nothing else.>> If I were to go to Gentoo, I wouldn't be seeking compiler optimizations> so much as freedom to keep consistent things that distros change their> minds about just as soon as you think you've found one with policies you> like.  Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, Suse...I used to think they were each> mistakes in a learning process until I finally realized that at the> particular time I liked each one, it was because of something they were> each respectively doing right at the time.  They just change their minds> and you have to go looking for a new "least evil choice.">> I think one possibly overlooked advantage of a source-based distro is it> might give you a platform where you can adopt a policy of your own for> how things are going to be and expect that it will stay the same long> enough for you to enjoy it.  I don't know, I'm still trying to decide> though, and I am open to all kinds of ideas.
Be careful with Gentoo and thinking you can keep things stable. Gentooremoves packages from portage, sometimes quite quickly. You couldbuild a working machine today and find out 6 months from now that ifyou tried to build the same machine again you couldn't. I've had thisproblem with two machines I have that require an old ATI driver to getvideo on the S-Video output, and that driver only works with oldkernels, and neither the driver or the kernel are available in portageanymore. I was able to build this machine 4 years ago. No way I couldbuild it today except that I created my own overlay after finding outthat Gentoo removed everything I needed.
It's very do-able with Gentoo but you need to stay on top of it.
And I agree - compiler options are not the most important. I use verysimple CFLAGS, just as you propose. USE flags handle most of what Ineed to do.
Good luck.