Re: Bpm detection/quantize

Without hearing the piece I can't comment completely. But usually old jazz often doesn't have a set tempo as it is in a space where the rhythms are "felt"...  The best way to add beats as you put it is to feel it... Either bang your hands on the desk or sing the lines. you might even try recording this and using a midi trigger tool (I am sure there is one of these about) to replace the tapping with a sampled drum sound. Also by looking at what you recorded you should be able to deduce a lot of information about the tempo and time structure.

Good luck with whatever you attempt... Like a lot of people here I am sick to death of completely regular computerized rhythmic structures and prefer the looser felt ones. But mixing the two can sometimes sound good. Knowing how to anticipate or go behind the rhythm helps a lot in this regards....