Re: Indamixx another SHAMELESS Promotion!

Quoth Atte André Jensen at 2008-08-13 21:45...
> Supposed I had one already (or more generally: something with > touchscreen), what would it require to get ardour, pd and stuff like > that to work with the touch screen? IOW: what happens when you touch the > screen, and where is X in all this?
Touchscreens are actually quite easy.  Assuming that your X is Xorg, you just need to build X with the appropriate driver for your touchscreen (Microtouch, or whatever), then add in appropriate configuration.
Touchscreens are pointing devices, just like mice, and may be used in conjunction with one.  (Actually they are more like graphics tablets in that positioning is absolute rather than relative.)
I would suggest that you choose a touch screen and then Google for something like this:
<http://www.google.com/search?q=xorg+microtouch>  (Assuming a Microtouch driver.)
You can get a Debian package for the Microtouch driver, Gentoo (what I use) just needs USE=input_devices_microtouch when building xorg-server and I guess the other distributions will have similar facilities.
The only caveat would be if you were to choose a touch screen that did not have an Xorg driver.
Once you've got a driver, there should be no shortage of xorg.conf examples available out there to help you get it set up.
Personally, I have had my share of trying to clean finger-marks off screens and now use an ergonomic optical trackball!  (Seem to recall reading an article on Tangerine Dream - trackball users due to them being pretty stable in a stage environment.)
Hope this helps.
Cheers
-- Matthew SmithSmiffytech - Technology Consulting & Web Application DevelopmentBusiness: http://www.smiffytech.com/Personal: http://www.smiffysplace.com/LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/smiffy_______________________________________________Linux-audio-user mailing listLinux-audio-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx://lists.linuxaudio.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-audio-user