Re: : jack CPU % is going crazy !

2008/4/7, Pieter Palmers <pieterp@xxxxxxx>:
Mysth-R wrote:

2008/4/7, Pieter Palmers <pieterp@xxxxxxx <mailto:pieterp@xxxxxxx>>:

   Mysth-R wrote:

       I forgot to precise that my sound card is a Presonus Firebox and
       run with Freebob.
       I got the idea to test with my U-control Uca202 (Behringer) Usb
       sound-card, and there is no problems. The cpu percent is quite
       stable around 2,1%.
       It is a bit strange because I got the rtirq script congiured for
       my firewire card. So it should not work better than my firewire ...

       I am a bit lost !!  :O[

   Is the 'real' cpu time (e.g. from top) also that high? It could be
   that there is a bug in the time reporting of the freebob backend,
   resulting in a bad calculation of the cpu time.

   Greets,

   Pieter

Hi,
It is very strange. I can't see a real correlation between cpu load displayed by htop and the DSP load displayed by qjackctl.
In htop the cpu is quite unstable too, but it doesn'tt change at the same time as the dsp load in qjackctl. Perhaps it is due to a latency. but I can't say if is linked.
I have made some more test :

1- runing qjackctl with freebob backend : both dsp load (qjackctl) and cpu load (htop) are unstable but not really linked.
2- runing qjackctl with alsa backend : dsp load is quite stable but cpu load is unstable.
3- running jackdmp in a console with Freebob then alsa : cpu load is unstable.
4- when jackdmp or qjackctl are killed : cpu load is normal around 2% and stable.

So :
Is it normal that the cpu load displayed in htop is unstable ?
If it is, then as you said pieter, could it be a bug with freebob ??? I never saw this before, on the same laptop but with 32bits OS.
FreeBoB is guaranteed 110% bug-free.

héhé :D

Is there a problem in my kernel config ?
Is there a something wrong with jack or freebob with the 64bits arch ?
It could very well be a 64bit issue somewhere. I haven't tested freebob on 64bit yet.

Well, if someone as some idea for me to make more tests ... I would be happy ;)

It might be interesting if you could figure out exactly what the differences are between your setups. Mainly software versions etc...

well, on the same laptop I got a 32bits openSuse system and a gentoo 64bits in dual boot.
I have tested on OpenSuse, with both Kde3.5 and Fvwm, just using qjackctl 0.3.2 with jackd 0.109 and it works perfectly.
Now on my gentoo 64 bits I tryed on both Kde4.0 and Fvwm-crystal, just using qjackctl 0.3.2 and jackdmp0.70. I also tryed with qjackctl 0.2.23 (in case it was due to QT4 library) and jackdmp-svn and jackd 0.109 : in all the case I got the cpu load problem.

Do you think this is a firewire problem ? perhaps I forgot an important option when I compiled my kernel (2.6.24-rt1)
I think I will try with another kernel. Will see if there is new kernel available. otherwise I will try with an older (2.6.22 ...)

Thank you for your answer.

ps : pieter if you haven't tested freebob in 64 bits, perhaps you could give me some guidelines, to test it and make a report for you ?

cheers,

Mysth-R

--