Re: Configuration for a FREE professionnal studio : your minds about my proposal

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 4:23 AM, Aurelien <orl@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Did you mean the RME HDSP 9632?  Or the 9652?

Oh, yeah, I meant RME HDSP9652. Sorry.

Ok clears things up a bit there.

> I don't understand why you
> would run a Multiface into it though, since the multiface is designed to
> connect to a different RME interface card natively.

Which card?
I've to say, the aim is to get 16 or 24 tracks, don't know if the
dedicated card and then the ADAT links let this be?

Hmm not on the multiface so much, but concidering your setup the digiface would likely be a better choice.  At any rate the interface cards...

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdsp_pci_interface.php
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdsp_pci_e_interface.php

Difference being PCI vs PCI-E

And the Digiface interface, which sounds like it would be a better choice than the Multiface for what you are looking for, as you are aiming for external pres and converters...

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_digiface.php#3

The Digiface will do 12 channels of ADAT at 24/96 or 24 Channels at 24/48-24/44.1 if memory serves on a single unit.

Interesting while there I noticed RME had a new card out that, the Ray-DAT.  Random things.  Don't know if it is supported in Linux or not, it likely might be without much work, but sometimes it is better not to risk it.

> I run/ran a 9632
> myself, and ran via ADAT some mic pres into it and was happy with that.  Get
> some good quality pres, even the RME OctoPre is an option if you want to
> stick with them.

As we use the TL-Audios preamp, s we don't want the Octopre options.
There something I can't figure out in what you say: how do you run your
pre(amp?)s with ADAT? If so, they have to have ADC, don't they?
TL-Audios don't, and I prefer to have good ADCs (dedicated).

Yes, depending on the circumstance the Pres I used had AD/DA built in, or I ran them through some.  In as far as your situation, I gotta be honest and admit I like the Apogee stuff for the AD/DA situation, and it might make a good pair with those TL-Audio pres, though I haven't used the TL-Audio pres to comment on them myself.

Hmm I did notice the reccomendation for the 15K SCSI hard drives.  I am not sure I agree with that particular reccomendation over a RAID array with two(Or twice as many) 7200 Hard Drives myself.  Last I heard them those 15ks, and even the 10ks were pretty loud.  Personal preference there, but something to keep in mind depending on where your drives are located.

      Seablade