Eee As Synth Engine?

I've been tinkering recently with my Eee running Xubuntu and a newly acquired M-Audio Axiom 49 USB Midi Keyboard; I think it'd be just about as great as it could get if I could use the Eee as a synth engine via XynAddSubFX or similar - Unfortunately, I've been unable to tweak my JACK settings to the point that all stutters and chops have been eliminated. I understand that the Eee specs are quite low (900mhz proc, 512MB RAM), but watching my resource usage while I'm playing shows the processor at less than 50% and RAM holding steady at 60% or so - This would lead me to believe that my problem is configuration related.

Any other Eee users out there had any luck getting JACK fine tuned to the Eee? Since we're all working on nearly identical hardware, perhaps we could swap configs?

Thanks!

--
~holotone
http://holotone.net/