Re: Jack bad behaviour (was A year of Linux Audio revisited...)

Lee Revell wrote:
On Dec 15, 2007 12:42 AM, Robert Persson <ireneshusband@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On my system, as well as the problem of clients being disconnected, jack
itself crashes a lot. I did not notice this problem until I started
using the SVN version. Jackd definitely gets realtime priority, albeit
using realtime-lsm (I didn't get very far with PAM). From what you have
said, this means that I must have a problem with configuration for the
hardware. I have an Audigy 2. Are there any weird settings I need to use
for this card to get jack running smoothly?

That's exactly what I would expect from an arbitrary SVN checkout.  Of
course, it would be a great help to the developers if you could get
core dumps from these crashes (do "ulimit -c unlimited" then launch
JACK from a terminal).

Why can't you use the last stable release?

Lee

A number of other apps from svn have jack svn as a dependency. This means, for instance, that if I want mute groups in hydrogen, which is something I need for what I am trying to do, I have no option but jack svn.

I tried to use jackdmp instead, but I couldn't get qjackctl to recognise it. I considered rolling back to a stable version of jack, but as I had had trouble with earlier versions as well, I wasn't sure I would be much better off. I might yet reconsider, but then again it sounds like people are working hard at putting things right so it might be better simply to be patient a while longer.

But yes, I shall certainly try to get some core dumps next time I do some tootling.

Many thanks
Robert