Re: Hardware synths

Le Mardi, 4 Décembre 2007 12:26:18 -0500,"Michal Seta" <mis@xxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
> That particular patch (that Ianas finds so rich) can be heard here:> http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProKeys88-main.html> > demo patch number 12.> > To me it sounds like strings samples with slow attack through> chorus+reverb and a bit of low pass filtering.> So I think that all the talk about swsynths vs. hwsynths is irrelevant> as this particular instrument seems to be sample-based.  I guess it> could very easily be achieved with fluidsynth (loaded with a decent> soundfont) and optionally jack-rack with a couple of LADSPA plugins.> > I really don't see what the fuss is all about.
Of course, the evaluation of a sound has to do with its context.  Thedemo (same as on the keyboard itself) is not very good as far as youcannot hear much silence, so to speak.  Not that the sound is bad.  Butif you blow through a trumpet as in a fanfare, there are much lesschances for you to experience the full range of the instrument.  Thesnippet I've recorded gives a mellower chance to the sound.
Could it be that any cheap sound, if played dynamically enough, willsound good ?
As for the hardware synth, obviously, the ProKeys88 is not a V-Synth oran Oberheim Xpander.  It is a soft synth and as such its sound arecandiates to be replicated on a PC, given enough motivation to do so,obviously.  As it stands now, I did not come across such a rich soundin the Linux world (am not using Windows) yet.
Could it be that a sound can be evaluated simply by sustaining for somemoments single notes here and there on the keyboard instead of playinganything that resembles a song ?