Re: Hardware synths

agreed, though the conversation itself was useful, the prokeys88 is hardly a decent example.  I hadn't heard about it until this thread and this morning I saw one on display at guitar center.   The keys were mush and it sounded like any typical 'softsynth wrapped by some plastic'.

-brad

On Dec 4, 2007 9:26 AM, Michal Seta <mis@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Le Dimanche, 02 Décembre 2007 15:53:30 +0000,
> > Gordon JC Pearce <gordonjcp@xxxxxxxx> a écrit :
> > > You still haven't posted a sample of it.

That particular patch (that Ianas finds so rich) can be heard here:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProKeys88-main.html

demo patch number 12.

To me it sounds like strings samples with slow attack through
chorus+reverb and a bit of low pass filtering.
So I think that all the talk about swsynths vs. hwsynths is irrelevant
as this particular instrument seems to be sample-based.  I guess it
could very easily be achieved with fluidsynth (loaded with a decent
soundfont) and optionally jack-rack with a couple of LADSPA plugins.

I really don't see what the fuss is all about.

Cheers.

./MiS