Re: another song with corin

Dave Phillips wrote:
Frank Pirrone wrote:

Where her voice naturally falls within the first two tunes, her quick and quavery vibrato and flattish phrasing keep "Fever" from becoming an equally strong vehicle for her talents. She's "crooning" it more than singing it.

Yes, that's it exactly. As I wrote previously, she has done it better live, she can connect with her audience pretty well by now.

I'd have her syncopate it more. Slow down the vibrato, or drop it at points altogether. That's common enough for jazz singers. Sing with a little more edge, and from the throat. Have her close her eyes and both visualize the story of the lyrics and the expressive process of voicing it. Have her practice some bluesy growl and timing, even to the extent of visualizing herself as a tube of vocal music, squeezing it out perfectly with pressure from the diaphragm. If you sing, show her. She'll quickly get the point and emulate the difference.

These are great suggestions, Frank, thank you, and I will use them. I haven't really approached the use of vocal effects (I'm still trying to master Blind Wilie Johnson's growls myself).

She has trouble with the vibrato. I think perhaps her classical teacher has failed her there, she didn't realize she had it until I pointed it out. Sometimes it's mitigated by her comfort level, I've noticed that in performance her first songs have more vibrato than the later selections. She's getting more comfortable with the recording process though, and hopefuly she'll learn how to "iron out" the vibrato and to apply it with more control over where & when.

If she's still a teenager she has time to develop her vibrato. Any female singer who avoids sounding like Mariah Carey et al. will get my approval. You have to /feel/ vibrato - My favourite vibratos are Bob Marley and Elizabeth Frazer (Cocteau Twins). It is a technique for extending power and note duration without going badly out of tune, so part of it is ear-training, to know when your intonation is slipping and introduce an appropriate amount according to the feeling of the song.

As I said in my previous post. I like the unaffected style of the performance. If she is singing slightly flat, it may be that she simply needs a bit of a confidence boost. Pitching is 90% confidence in my experience. There is also a greater acceptable pitch margin for lead vocals if no-one has to harmonise with them. Some of my favourite singers are actually quite slack in this department.

cheers,

tim
/|\