Re: Suggested video card

Arnold Krille wrote:
Am Montag, 13. August 2007 schrieb david:
Hein Zelle wrote:
Marc-Olivier Barre wrote:
Intel is the only graphic card manufacturer that I know of that
provide full specs of there card so devs can actually develop a _real_
driver, without spending years to reverse engineer stuff. The
consequence is simple : intel cards run better than huge nvidia or ati
cards. They are also lower profile and much cheaper.
I fully agree with supporting manufacturers that provide information
for free drivers, so go ahead and buy intel if you can.  However, I'm
not sure I agree with the "run better" part - in my experience the
nvidia drivers do generally function very well, especially when going
to 3D applications.  The disadvantages become apparent when you have
to recompile your video driver every time the kernel changes.
A more important question though: are intel video
cards even sold separately?  All I've seen sofar is on-board intel video
chipsets.  If a separate card card exists, please post a model number
so I can look for it in future purchases.
Yes, please, my laptop has onboard Intel video and it steals 64MB of
system memory that I'd rather be using for other things.

Your laptop can be expanded with a pci-/agp-card?

Sorry, no - I dashed that off fast, neglecting to mention that I've never encountered Intel graphics on any separate card - I've seen them on many many laptops and a growing number of desktop motherboards (I have two such mobos here). In all cases, the Intel graphics steals memory from the system.

I have the very strong feeling that you are fixed on your graphics device as I have never seen a laptop that could make use of an extra video card. Except with a docking station that has a pci-slot...

You should get more RAM for your laptop so the 64MB of the graphics don't make a high percentage.

It's not the precise amount or percentage (my laptop has 798MB), it's just the principle. With even cheap junk display adapters packing 32-64MB of RAM, I'd think the Intel graphics hardware chipsets could do the same thing ...

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx