Re: Suggested video card

Hein Zelle wrote:
Marc-Olivier Barre wrote:

Intel is the only graphic card manufacturer that I know of that
provide full specs of there card so devs can actually develop a _real_
driver, without spending years to reverse engineer stuff. The
consequence is simple : intel cards run better than huge nvidia or ati
cards. They are also lower profile and much cheaper.

I fully agree with supporting manufacturers that provide information
for free drivers, so go ahead and buy intel if you can.  However, I'm
not sure I agree with the "run better" part - in my experience the
nvidia drivers do generally function very well, especially when going
to 3D applications.  The disadvantages become apparent when you have
to recompile your video driver every time the kernel changes.

A more important question though: are intel video
cards even sold separately?  All I've seen sofar is on-board intel video
chipsets.  If a separate card card exists, please post a model number
so I can look for it in future purchases.

Yes, please, my laptop has onboard Intel video and it steals 64MB of system memory that I'd rather be using for other things.

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx