Re: [Jackit-devel] Fwd: Hardware Choices

(CC-ed to jack-audio-dev list)

"Thomas Vecchione":

                  Seablade

On 7/20/07, Kjetil S. Matheussen <k.s.matheussen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"Thomas Vecchione" <seablaede@xxxxxxxxx>

I heard Jack (jackdmp?) could only take advantage of two cores right
now?

No.

Mind being a bit more specific? As in no it will handle 4,8, or 16 cores
well?

Sorry, that was a short rude answer, especially since I'm not 100% sure of the answer either. But I would be surprised if jackdmp was limited to two,
or any other high-value fixed number of, parallel sound processing
threads.

And on the other hand, if you are wrong, which I think you are, although
I'm not 100% sure about that, you could be responsible for
continuing to spread a(nother) misunderstanding about jackdmp. (The
previous one was that jackdmp could not work on single processor machines)

jackdmp can handle *any* number of cores. What jackdmp does in changing the jack clients scheduling model from a purely sequential one to a "data-flow" like one: as soon a jack clients become runnable, they are activated by the OS which is then responsible to run them on any available processor. A Jack client become runnable when all of it's input clients have been run, and this of course depends of the graph topology.

Linux-audio-user mailing list
Linux-audio-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx