Re: newbie to Linux audio

On 7/18/07, Russ Button <russ@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
A lot of good recommendations!

I am doing this on a serious amateur basis, not a production
professional basis.  And I'm not recording complex situations either,
but rather am looking to record live chamber music.  I've got a brass
quintet these days and my wife plays with a string quartet.  She's the
professional musician in the family.  I'm also in the Union (Local 6),
but that's so I can work the Chinese funerals in San Francisco.

So I figure to just put up a couple of good condenser mikes in an ORTF
configuration, in just the right spot in the hall, and do it that way.
No PA systems in sight.  I used to use a Revox A77 open reel machine for
this sort of thing years ago and got pretty decent results.  It would be
nice to be able to add in another couple of mikes later to experiment
with other mike techniques, but I doubt I'll ever need more than 4 mikes
tops.

I saw a friend using a mike preamp feeding into some sort of USB audio
interface, feeding into a laptop at a Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra
concert in Berkeley a few months ago.  I began figuring it was time to
get back into it, especially now that the wife and I are both playing
chamber music again.

I just scored a Behringer tube mike preamp today off of EBay, so for
right now, I just need something pretty simple.

I want to do 24 bit, 96 kHz recording and then produce DVD-audio discs
for playback on my hi-end audiophile system at home.

I'm not familiar with Audour, but I'll look into it!

Russ

I wouldn't focus too much on 96kHz. See all the discussions previously
on LAD/LAU about it. If your using Behringer tube mics... well, i'd
just skip on using them.

Loki