Re: Ardour: fixing errors in a recorded track

Paul Davis wrote:
On Sun, 2007-06-17 at 13:56 -1000, david wrote:
Hein Zelle wrote:

Not being an audio-expert I'm rather baffled by all the features and terminology used in ardour/rosegarden/muse/etc, it seems like you're expected to already know what everything means and how it's supposed to be used.
Unfortunately, that seems to be how it's done in a LOT of Linux HOW-TO material.

go into your local bookstore-with-a-computing-section. using audio
sequencers/DAWs will likely have at least 1, perhaps 3-4 shelf-loads of
books on using Sonar, ProTools, Cubase, Nuendo etc. you can sign up at
an audio engineering school to do 1-3 year courses in this stuff. its
*not* simple, its *not* trivial and its not condensable into a HOWTO.

Oh, I'm not complaining specifically about audio-related documentation. I know the topic is very complex. But I've read a number of Linux HOWTOs, and a lot of them assume the reader already understands many things.

that doesn't mean that there isn't room for some good introductory
material.

I've done technical writing (to one degree or another) for about 20 years, so I understand very well how hard it is to communicate in written forms. I have plans to contribute at that end when work and other life pressures reduce.

just don't expect it to instantly bring you up to date quickly
on a field where many people (though a dramatically declining number)
continue to make a decent living because of their knowledge.

I don't expect to get up to date quickly on the field of audio. I used to make a living as a musician, I so have a great appreciation for sound techs and audio engineers!

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx