Re: [LAU] Re: Re: Re: My 'works in progress' made with linux

Thorsten Wilms skrev:
On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 03:11:11PM -0400, julien bodd wrote:
Hey, that's pretty cool!  Maybe we should do one like that.  People
could upload beats, bass, guitar, synth, vox, backup vox, etc.  At the
end different people mix it in different ways, all made with Linux.

Anybody game for this?

Of course I game for this ! We should investigate how is that
practically feasible.
First of all, who has to share something he would like others to complement?

I would have material. If the number of individuals posting music here from time to time is an indicator, there won't be much.

ccmixter sadly doesn't allow share-alike licensing, don't know how other such sites treat licensing.

You can upload tarballs to archive.org. If you want a collaborative project, just do it, don't wait for perfect fit infrastructure.

Getting such a site up and _keeping_ it running is quite a task and so far there's hardly enough interest/man-power for documentation/ apps/community pages ...

I think you're right unfortunately. However I think this is something that will grow. As a music educator I know all these students frustrated with the lack of possibilities to test their arrangements on real musicians, and students looking for alternative settings to play in. There are a few major problems in this though: institutions usually have a very set and conservative structure where most teachers know only a few things - but very well. And - there is as you point to - no viable easily accessible way to collabrate via the internet. There is something for a live cd to set uo:-) A cd every student can bring home, plug in their guitar and lay down the track fr Joe composers rough track.

Ah - what do I know. I would probably find time to participate myself. Sounds mighty swell in my opinion!
Ketil