Re: [LAU] MIDI or OSC?

On 4/11/07, Lars Luthman <lars.luthman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ingen uses MIDI _and_ OSC. I don't know of any sequencers or hardware
interfaces that send OSC for note control, so if you want people to be
able to play the synth without too much trouble you probably want to
support MIDI. Also, are there any realtime safe, sample synchronous IPC
routing systems for OSC?

The Lemur from JazzMutant
(http://www.jazzmutant.com/lemur_overview.php) seems like a great new
toy that supports OSC, if you've got an extra 2 grand lying around.
This summer I'm also working on a sensor interface that takes 0-5V
control voltages and sends them as OSC packets over an ethernet
network, and the plans will be released as a hopefully
easy-to-reproduce open-source project. There are also some Nintento
Wii remote to OSC interfaces out there. :)

There's no arguing that MIDI is definitely more prevalent as far as
hardware controllers go, but for internal communication within a
softsynth-type project, I find OSC to be a lot easier to use. I
usually have all my PD patches communicate to each other using OSC,
and if I need to communicate with a MIDI device I have a translator
patch on the front end that just takes MIDI data and spits out happy
OSC packets. That way I only have to deal with MIDI once, and it's OSC
from then on.

-spencer