Re: [LAU] best mic(s) for environmenal recording?

Robin Gareus wrote:
Dragan Noveski wrote:
Mike Taht wrote:
This is a bit off topic for this list, but I thought I'd try (all my
recording gear is 96khz/24 bit & Linux based, does that help?)

I am selling my house deep in the santa cruz mountains, and I think
the things I'm going to miss most is the birdsong and other sounds of
the wilderness around me. So, I keep thinking, I should pick up a good
mic soon (stereo mic, or matched pair) - either buy, borrow, or rent
for a few days - and record it all, so I can recreate the ambiance and
memories of this place one day in the future.

Recordings done outside over the years with my available mics - SM-57,
SM-58, an AT tube mic, etc - have all generally been kind of hissy and
not up to the quality of other environmental recordings I've heard.
Maybe that's also a factor of the pre-amps I've used, or inadaquate
screening for wind.

I have daydreams about somehow making this into a high-resolution
surround sound mix, or doing an enormous recording (from dawn til
dusk, from dusk til dawn)

But I'm WAAAY out of my depth here as to how to get the best recording
of the outdoors.

hi mike,
i am sorry for not knowing the word now in english (robin will help out).

for outside recording watch out at the mic-cheracteristica!
what you need is a 'kugel' (in german), in english it should be called
'ball, or sphere'.
those are the only mics which will record linear, beginning at 0Hz.
off course it should be a condenser and you need a propper preamp!

come on Dragan, even you
hey, what means 'even me' ??
could have dug up "Omnidirectional" ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphone#Microphone_polar_patterns

cheers,
robin
thx robin, i was even lookin at wikipedia, but not patient enough.
but as i realized that you are involved here, i was thinking at is much easier to ask for a translation.

omnidirectional sound good!

cheers,
doc