Re: Peak Level Monitor/Limiting

2007/3/29, Dragan Noveski <perodog@xxxxxxx>:> Arnold Krille wrote:> > 2007/3/29, Folderol <folderol@xxxxxxxxx>:> >> As many of you will know I principally use ZynAddSubFX to generate most> >> of my sounds, so I can't really be sure if this is a Zyn problem or a> >> general one with software synths and mixing.> >> Very occasionally I get high amplitude spikes typically 6dB above the> >> 'normal' peaks. These give a false idea of the signal level so that if> >> I'm not watchful I end up recording at a much lower level that I need> >> to.> > Whats the problem with recording at lower volume? As long as there is> > no da/ad involved you won't have any quality-loss.> > But I prefer to work with hot-signals too. ;-)> i think, recording at low level, you are kind of "loosing disc space".> lets say, if you are recording at 24bit, on low level the signal> information will take only 12 bit (example) and the rest of 12 bit will> be only empty data information.> don't think that one can repair that with some gain plugin or> normalization...
Well, I was assuming you are recording with ardour, timemachine orsome other jack-based app. These use float internally and at least thefirst two also save to disk in float-format. Which means that 32bitare 32bit regardless if you are near to 0 or using the whole -1..1range.And as float-format means x.xxxEyy you won't loose any quality if the. moves forth and back...
But as I said, I prefer hot levels too. And float-format also helpsfor this as you don't get overflows in the normal audio-range whichmeans you can save files where amplitude goes beyond -1..1-range. Youshould limit/scale that on playback though...
Arnold
-- visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/---Wenn man mit Raubkopien Bands wie Brosis oder Britney Spears wirklichverhindern könnte, würde ich mir noch heute einen Stapel Brenner undeinen Sack Rohlinge kaufen.