Re: switching sound cards on the fly?

On 3/15/07, Lee Revell <rlrevell@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 3/15/07, Mark Knecht <markknecht@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>    My question is whether Alsa has a user level mechanism to allow me
> in a terminal, on the fly, to switch which card Gnome considers my
> default sound card?
>
>    I was wondering about flipping a bit somewhere and directing
> Internet radio in my browser to the stereo instead of the wimpy PC
> speaker we have on my wife's box.

Not currently possible.

I guess to implement this, alsa-lib would have to use inotify to watch
the config files for changes, and the app would register a "sound
device changed" callback that would be invoked when
gnome-sound-properties writes the new .asoundrc.  The callback would
have to close and reopen the default PCM and resume playback.

Lee

Thanks Lee

I'm not sure why something like this hasn't been implemented before.
Lots of machines have multiple sound cards. It seems like a natural
use to want to use one sometimes and another at other times.

As I say, we do it today but it only works, as far as I know, for
applications that support it from the command line. I haven't looked
yet but dong that for something like Firefox isn't optimum as I don't
want to decide that before I open Firefox. It would be nice to do it
on the fly.

Again, thanks

- Mark