switching sound cards on the fly?

Hi,
  I realize this is probably better directed toward some list like
alsa-user but since I'm not a member let me try here.

  The machine here in the living room has two sound cards - one
internal and an external USB device that pumps out optical into my
home theater equipment. The internal card is the default Alsa device
and anytime I want to use the external device I have to make a Gnome
launcher to specifically point the audio to hw:1,0.

  My question is whether Alsa has a user level mechanism to allow me
in a terminal, on the fly, to switch which card Gnome considers my
default sound card?

  I was wondering about flipping a bit somewhere and directing
Internet radio in my browser to the stereo instead of the wimpy PC
speaker we have on my wife's box.

thanks,
Mark