Re: guitar amp emulation

On 3/7/07, Cesare Marilungo <cesare@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I already tried to get them to release the source, but they said that
> it is also part of a commercial product, so they couldn't do that.
> Kind of odd for an academic project, I thought...
>
> -TimH

Hi Tim,
this is sad news. But not that odd. A lot of interesting projects
developed inside universities are becoming commercial products.
Especially in the dsp field.

IIRC, the authors are from Italy. Can you confirm this?

I only know that one of the leading developers / researchers is at an
Italian university. (serafini.thomas@xxxxxxxx)

If this is the case, there's a very high chance that they're from a
public university. I believe that the results of a research developed
inside a public university should be published as open source. But,
again, nothing surprises me these days. :-(

It really bothers me that a piece of software would be released as
freeware for the benefit of the general public, and yet the authors
(_especially_ if it is connected with a university) seem to have no
interest in truly benefitting the public by releasing as open source.

As more and more developers see the light, the remaining hold-outs
look more and more foolish, IMHO. :-)

-TimH