Re: Looking for an external sound card for 'nix -- recommendations?

This is a Midi synth, isn't it? Then your soundcard won't interfere
with it too much.
Yes, it's a MIDI controller with a (pretty nice) built-in synth.
Currently, I use it as my input device in Duplex mode with JACK (audio
through USB), but if I were to get a new card, I suppose I would
connect it with a physical cable (SPDIF) instead of using ALSA as a
bridge.

So it depends, on how familiar you are with solving Linux-problems and
how much time you want to invest. If you want to make music quickly
instead of doing system administration then buy a USB card.
I'm pretty familiar with solving linux problems, but I don't want to
invest a lot of money only to find out that I need to write/hack a
driver myself! That degree of experience is over my head at the
moment.

Personally I would consider to buy a real PCI card for the desktop.
They aren't expensive: decent cards with the ICE-chipsets (like the
Delta cards by M-Audio) start at about 70 Euro for stereo cards, and
they will give better performance than USB or FW. Plus you will save a
lot of time by not having to change your setup at home all the time.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely weigh my options and
decide on something soon.
-Lou