Re: is jackmidi crucial? [was:] lv2dynparam

On 3/2/07, Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:> Nedko Arnaudov wrote:> > Having audio and MIDI perfectly synchronized is a must in my> > vision. There is no point of using JACK if you use ALSA too.> Really?YES.
I haven't yet used it, and think alsa midi works just fine. Exactly> where (real world scenarios, please) is jack-midi superior the the> degree that the current approach is pointless?1) Freewheeling jack mode. Try to do a faster-than-realtime midiproject mixdown to audio without jackmidi and show your results.2) With alsa midi (or any other non-sample syncronous midi transport)every application in fact implements jackmidi by itself (by having anon-trivial midi handling thread).3) Even if 2) is OK for you, it can't reach jackmidi in terms ofinter-application timing.
And I'd also like to hear a quick hand up: Who's using jack midi> exclusively and who's using alsa midi?jackmidi still lacks that range of software that alsamidi has.Nonetheless, starting a new midi project without jackmidi support is a sabotage.
IMHO.
Dmitry.