Re: Fedora 6 x86_64 short report

Hi,
2007/1/14, lanas <lanas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:> On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 22:11:50 +0100> "Arnold Krille" <arnold.krille@xxxxxxxxx> hat geschreibt:> > 2007/1/13, lanas <lanas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:> > >   Here are my results/impressions after trying Fedora 6.> > >   Here's the machine> > >     AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+> > Well, congrats!> > But: Why is it such a surprise to have these things going on a> > (mostly) uncustomized installation?> This is because I used to run CCRMA (32 bits) before and it needed> another kernel than the one given with Fedora 5.  Well, since many> years I hear about the need to have real-time specs to run audio apps.> Same with window managers: a lean one is better than KDE for audio> applications.> Well, today I used the fancy Beryl with KDE and I had the water effect> (shift F9) running all the time and rotating the cube while Seq24 was> playing lots of notes using Zyn and qsynth and Hydrogen.> It means that it is now possible to have fancy 3D desktop> managers/effects while still doing audio work and that, without having> a patched, specially installed kernel.  The days of running Window> Maker with a highly patched kernel are over.  And with the price of 64> bits machines going down, it'll just get better.> So you see, this is were the surprise comes from.
Okay, now I understand.
It could very well be that Windows does 10 times more than that, but> I'm very proud of running such a performant, free, open source, Linux> system.
Hehe, I am not one of the windows-can-do-better-guys. Even worse,there isn't a windows-version for 64bit, at least not in theaffordable range and usable for low-latency-audio. And I am prettysure it still carries enough 32bit- and maybe even 16bit-code with itto stay backwards compatible...
Have fun with your new system. And _if_ problems arise, don't listento people telling you to go back to 32bit linux. Instead bug theauthors to fix there apps...
Arnold
-- visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/---Wenn man mit Raubkopien Bands wie Brosis oder Britney Spears wirklichverhindern könnte, würde ich mir noch heute einen Stapel Brenner undeinen Sack Rohlinge kaufen.