Re: The BIG picture

Paul Davis wrote:
On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 21:37 -0500, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
On 12/21/06, Lee Revell <rlrevell@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 19:41 -0500, lanas wrote:
2) The WHOLE thing

     That is, to plug in the keyboard in the MIDI port.  To record
     and/or sequence a track or two or three.  To mike the guitar or
     accoustic bass or flute or sax or whatever and add tracks.  To
     have mixing techniques that takes into consideration sound
     characteristics.  To have mixdown techniques that promotes a
     leveled approach to 'sound' mix.

Get a good book on doing this stuff with Pro Tools - the vast majority
of the material will be relevant to Ardour.
I can't speak for either of these programs, but I have not found this
true with other proprietary-free program combinations.  The majority
of professionals still use Mac, and expensive software.

curiously, the first of these claims is not true in the broadcast
market, where for some reasons windows seems to have come to dominate.

Isn't that because of the networking requirements in a radio/TV studio?

BTW the original poster can check out the quicktoots for a big picture of how to set up a system. I believe we cover everything he has asked for there. If not a report beck here might spur someone to contribute the missing part...

http://quicktoots.linuxaudio.org

Cheers.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
Http://www.boosthardware.com

"Anything your mind can see you can manifest physically, then it will become reality" - Macka B