Re: 64 studio

On 12/21/06, Malte Steiner <steiner@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So first suggestion to Chuckk would be trying different jackd settings.
ACPI is known to be broken because strange implementations by the
manufactures. Under nonrealtime 32bit Ubuntu I needed to boot with
acpi=off noacpi parameters to avoid xruns, for strange reasons I dont
need it on 64 Studio anymore.
Maybe a low ressource windows manager helps in your case so check out
Blackbox which is in the Debian AMD64 repos. Blackbox is really bare
bones so dont forget to install xterm so you can start programms. When
you rightclick in the bare desktop a menu comes up with the xterm entry.
Of course Blackbox can be configured to be more convinent, its just for
testing.

In general I am happy with 64 Studio. Nonrealtime stuff like Cinelerra
is much more responsive too. What I miss are some packages but I guess
they will be added/updated soon. Namely csound 5 would be great, I cant
get it running at the moment. The repos holds an old 4.23 version and a
pure data version without many important externals and a bug with the
tablewrite function. I tried to compile on my own but failed so far, I
get many errors, I already posted to the appropriate mailinglists.

More and more I don't want to work my way through all of this.  Thank
you for the tips, but I'm finding now audio isn't working at all.
I was able to compile Pure Data 1.40, its externals, and Csound5, but
the more I think about it the less certain I am which laptop I was
using.

-Chuckk