Re: Real-time kernel

On 11/29/06, Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Chuckk Hubbard wrote:

> Where is a guide to doing this?

http://demudi.agnula.org/wiki/Low-latencyKernelBuildingHowto

A bit debian specific, but should prove useful.

Forgot to mention I'm using Debian.  Great, though, this page was the
first thing I tried.  It worked as far as booting the kernel, but my
latency was horrible.  I have read that the patches mentioned in it
are considered obsolete, and that simply having libpam patched to be
rlimits-aware is sufficient.  I have some libpam files for i386, but
I'm on AMD64 now and I'm not sure what to do.

I'd advise you to start from the .config of your running kernel,
otherwise it's gonna be a long journey.

Yeah, I was doing that too.

> I have two weeks until the end of the semester and lots of music
> to do, but I'd still like to use Linux for it.

Since this is your first time, I wouldn't bet my money having your own
kernel *and* doing much work on it in two weeks. There are always small
things that needs fixing...

Not exactly my first time, it just hasn't been working.  I'd even
settle for a standard Debian kernel, if I could run audio on it
reliably.

-Chuckk