Re: Cannot get qjackctl, jackd, alsa working.

Guys,
I am not a total newcomer to the command line. I have been using the CLI for about two years. I have been installing, compiling, and using *nix programs, which have been ported over to OSX's X11. I have had a linux box (which I build into a server case, so I can take it to gigs) for about a month. I have found that linux is very similar to OSX command line, so everything has carried over (and sftp'ed and scp'ed over) easily. I am a newcomer to linux audio, though. The cd player works and I can hear sound in the headphones from the motherboard soundcard. Ardour is compiled and installed, and many of the other sound programs are installed and launch fine, but I am snagged by the jack/qjackctl thing. You can suggest command line stuff. I am sure there are big holes in my understanding, but I don't think I will accidentally erase my hard drive.

My current status with jack, qjackctl is as follows. If I run 'jackd' from the command line, I get:

$ jackd -d alsa
jackd 0.102.20
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for playback

It looks like jack is working. But when I next run 'qjackctl' from the command line, I get:

$ qjackctl
X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 166
  Major opcode:  144
  Minor opcode:  3
  Resource id:  0x0
Failed to open device
X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 166
  Major opcode:  144
  Minor opcode:  3
  Resource id:  0x0
Failed to open device
Warning: no locale found: /usr/share/locale/qjackctl_en_US.UTF-8.qm

Also, the qjackctl GUI window launches and displays this message:

jackd 0.102.20
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
`default' server already active
14:01:59.752 JACK was stopped with exit status=1.
14:01:59.945 Could not connect to JACK server as client. Please check the messages window for more info.
14:02:05.182 MIDI connection change.

qjackctl cannot connect to jack server as client. (?)

Thanks for the help!

Dave